Technical Support Unit (TSU)
The main purpose of the TSU is to support the member countries in general assessment of gaps in AWM capacities within the countries and suggest possible solutions; developing feasibility reports for small and medium irrigation, drainage and flood management proposal and undertaking assessment of training requirements.
The 66th IEC approved the concept of TSU with an overall objective to “Undertake capacity development activities in the field of agriculture water management (AWM) in support of rural development” is set up with the broad scope to:
- Coordinate capacity development programs of ICID;
- To liaise in developing a knowledge base in AWM with the help of ICID working groups, partner institutions and member countries; and
- To support the member countries in:
- general assessment of gaps in AWM capacities within the countries and suggest possible solutions
- developing feasibility reports for small and medium irrigation, drainage and flood management proposal,
- training assessment needs; and
- undertaking capacity development programmes
TSU, which is a sub-set of WG-CDTE consist of distributed network of expert volunteers who commit to dedicate a maximum of ten man days to the TSU activities with a coordination unit within the Central Office that would help locate these experts. In addition, Members or partner institutions would be requested to depute personnel to the coordination unit of TSU from time to time, as required.
In order to ensure smooth functioning of TSU, a ‘Capacity Development Fund’ is established and support is solicited from member countries on a voluntary basis.
President Dr. Nairizi emphasized the need for a professional guidance and support for initiating certain studies and activities to help member countries. The concept was very much appreciated and few NCs have expressed their willingness to support such an initiative.